Welcome to the 100th episode of Sports Krunch with DKrom. I’m your host David Kromelow. To commemorate this special occasion, we have decided to give you a glimpse inside the NFL scouting world. Scouts are the unsung heroes of NFL franchises. Behind every Super Bowl winning team, you will find the fingerprints of their scouts’ tireless work. Our special guest, Greg Gabriel, spent 30 years in NFL scouting, where he helped lay the bricks of Super Bowl teams including the 1987, 1991 and 2000 New York Giants and the 2006 Chicago Bears. Today, Greg is a contributor to Pro Football Weekly, 670 The Score in Chicago, and BuffaloSportsPage.com, where you can catch his coverage during football and NFL Draft season. But for now, sit back, relax, and enjoy this journey through the life and mind of an NFL scout with the one and only Greg Gabriel.
Greg’s Twitter handle: @greggabe
- Give us an insight of a typical day in the life of an NFL scout while he’s on the road evaluating prospects. (Miles traveled per day? Hours of sleep?)
- A scout’s job isn’t only to evaluate how a player is on the field, but to determine what kind of person he is off the field as well. Thus, it is imperative that scouts have a deep understanding of the world beyond the game as well as the game itself. What non-football related career experiences would be beneficial to somebody looking for a job in a pro football scouting department?
- What was it like working with the Giants, particularly during the Bill Parcells era?
- What are the big differences in being a scouting director compared to being a regional scout? Which role did you enjoy more?
- How much of a say do the scouts have in how a team’s final draft board looks?
- During these next five weeks, there will be a lot of fabrications leaked out of NFL front offices. What are some tips you have for fans on how to separate the smoke from the fire from now until draft night?
- Why do you think this QB class is overrated?
- Draft Day Hypothetical
That concludes our 100th episode special here on Sports Krunch with DKrom. Starting next week, our “Dash to the Draft” series kicks into high gear as we enter the final month before the 2018 NFL Draft…so stay tuned!! Thanks to each and every one of you for tuning in each week…and we hope you continue to do so for the next 100 episodes and beyond. Take care everyone and until next time…stay awesome