Welcome back to Sports Krunch with DKrom ladies and gentlemen, I’m your host David Kromelow. Today we continue the final leg of our 2018 Dash To The Draft series with a look at the draft hauls in the AFC North. Round one of the 2018 NFL Draft began with the 2017 Heisman trophy winner landing in the AFC North, and ended with the 2016 Heisman winner landing in the AFC North. Joining us today to analyze that plus a lot more on the draft classes of the Browns, Ravens, Bengals and Steelers, is our good friend Pete Smith, Browns and NFL Draft analyst for NFLSpinZone.com. Great to have you back on the program Pete, how are you?
- Why was Baker Mayfield your favorite QB in this draft class and why should Browns fans be optimistic about him as the potential face of the franchise? When at the earliest should we expect to see him start this season?
- Did Denzel Ward’s talent and upside meet the value of the fourth overall pick or do you think the Browns should’ve traded down with Buffalo and could’ve gotten him around picks 9-12?
- Can Austin Corbett function at left tackle in the NFL?
- Are the Ravens an ideal landing spot for Lamar Jackson? Would it surprise you if he and Mayfield end up being the two best QB’s from this draft class?
- What are some similarities and differences between Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews and do you foresee both getting heavy snaps this season?
- Is Billy Price better at center or guard?
- With two safeties under contract through 2020 in George Iloka and Shawn Williams, what is the role of Jesse Bates in this Bengals defense for the foreseeable future?
- Can you see any positives in the Terrell Edmunds pick?
- Will James Washington make a similar impact his rookie season as Juju Smith-Schuster did last year?
- How will the Steelers utilize Jaylen Samuels and what position do you think they’ll put him at?
- Overreaction/Not an Overreaction
-Nick Chubb will assume the lead RB duties for the Browns at some point this season
-The selection of Antonio Callaway will yield similar results as a similar John Dorsey gamble did a few years ago in Tyreek Hill
-Orlando Brown will win the starting RT job for the Ravens in training camp
-The Bengals will release Vontaze Burfict after this season, and Malik Jefferson will take his place in 2019
-Marcus Allen will have a better rookie season than Terrell Edmunds
Thank you Pete…and that’s it for today here on Sports Krunch with DKrom. We’ll be back next week with more of 2018 Dash To The Draft recap series…so stay tuned! Be sure to check out the episode archive as well as an up-to-date blog of mine at SportsKrunch.com!! And if you enjoy these podcast episodes please consider leaving us an iTunes review and donating to our Patreon at Patreon.com/SportsKrunch so we can improve our iTunes ranking and afford to produce even more shows with awesome guests like Pete, especially since there’s NEVER an “offseason” for talking football.
For Pete Smith, our producer Chris Brodhead, this is David Kromelow saying so long, and as usual, stay awesome!!!
Pete’s Twitter handle: @_PeteSmith_