Welcome back to Sports Krunch with DKrom ladies and gentlemen, I’m your host David Kromelow. We just completed our journey through the AFC in our Dash To The Draft recap series and today, we begin our journey through the NFC with a stop in the NFC East. This division saw a lot of big-time playmakers and high-upside defenders land there…but did anybody do enough to close the gap on the Eagles? Did the Eagles get even more dangerous long-term with any of their picks? Joining us to answer these questions and break down the 2018 draft classes of the Giants, Redskins, Cowboys and Eagles is our good friend Cole Thompson of draftwire.com. Great to have you back on the program Cole, how are you?
- Is Saquon Barkley a special enough talent to warrant being selected with the number two overall pick and do you see Hall of Fame potential in him like Dave Gettleman does?
- How does Will Hernandez fit into Pat Shurmur’s zone scheme, especially since most had him pegged as a man-blocking scheme fit only?
- Do you see Lorenzo Carter growing into that #1 pass rush threat for the Giants that Jason Pierre-Paul was?
- Will Da’Ron Payne ever become an every-down force, or will he be limited as a two-down run stuffer?
- Jay Gruden recently said he only sees DerriusGuice currently as a first and second down back. However, many believe he has untapped potential in the passing game. Do you think Guice can become a three-down back by 2019?
- Would it surprise you if Shaun Dion Hamilton replaces Mason Foster in the starting lineup by next year, if not sooner?
- What does Leighton Vander Esch bring to the table that will help a young Cowboys defense take the next big step forward?
- Do you like Connor Williams better at RT for the Cowboys, or do you think he’ll thrive just as much (if not more) at LG in their scheme?
- Which of the three past-catchers the Cowboys drafted should they be most excited about long-term: Michael Gallup,Dalton Schultz or Cedrick Wilson?
- Is there anything in Dallas Goedert’s game that makes him a potential upgrade from Trey Burton the moment he steps onto the field?
- How realistic is it to expect Avonte Maddox to be in serious contention for starting slot CB duties this season?
- Overreaction/Not an Overreaction
-Kyle Lauletta will grow into Eli Manning’s long-term successor
-Trey Quinn will be the Redskins new slot receiver if Jamison Crowder heads elsewhere in free agency next March
-Bo Scarbrough will win the Cowboys backup RB job this summer
-Josh Sweat will be a major part of the Eagles four-man DE rotation this year and notch 2-5 sacks
Thank you Cole…and that’s it for today here on Sports Krunch with DKrom. We’ll be back later this weekswith a recap of the NFC North draft classes…so stay tuned!Be sure to check out the episode archiveas well as an up-to-date blog of mine at SportsKrunch.com!! And if you enjoy these podcast episodes please consider leaving us an iTunes review and donating to our Patreon at Patreon.com/SportsKrunch so we can improve our iTunes ranking and afford to produce even more shows with awesome guests like Cole, especially since there’s NEVER an “offseason” for talking football.
For Cole Thompson, our producer Chris Brodhead, this is David Kromelow saying so long, and as usual, stay awesome!!!
Cole’s Twitter handle: @MrColeThompson