NFL preseason is officially underway and that means you probably have a fantasy football draft that’s approaching fast. And we have a VERY special guest here today that will help give you an advantage when you enter that draft room.
About five years ago, I joined a fledgling fantasy football website called firststopfantasy.com as a staff writer. The guy in charge of the site at the time was a man named Mike Dente. He taught me how to analyze football from a fantasy perspective and my experience writing for him inspired me to pursue this as a potential career.
Currently, Mike is a featured writer for FantasyPros.com and touchdownfantasyfootball.com and is also the lead DFS contributor NFLSpinZone.com and Fansided.com. And it is a pleasure to welcome back Mike to the program today where he will help us break down some of the recent training camp buzz and what it means for your fantasy draft board.
Mike’s Twitter Handle: @1stStopFantasy
Other handles: @FantasyPros, @TouchdownFF, @NFLSpinZone, @Fansided
- Yesterday, the NFL granted Steelers WR Martavis Bryant partial reinstatement, meaning he is allowed to take part in preseason practices and games. However, he still has hurdles remaining in his quest for full reinstatement. Even though he is expected to achieve that goal before Week 1, it is probably fair to expect him to start the season slowly. What is the safest round to buy Martavis Bryant at the earliest? Will you be willing to draft him or let somebody else overpay for him?
-Just in case you don’t know how important Martavis Bryant is to the Steelers offense, here are some eye-opening stats from Evan Silva of Rotoworld.com. In games without Bryant, Ben Roethlisberger has averaged 275.7 passing yards per game, 1.78 TD’s per game, and 7.95 YPA. In games WITH Bryant, Roethlisberger has averaged 336.6 passing yards per game, 2.11 TD’s per game, and 8.39 YPA.
- Ian Rapoport (NFL Network) just reported that a decision on potential discipline for Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott may be announced as early as tomorrow. If Elliott is suspended 2-3 games, where would you draft him at the earliest? Where would you draft him at the earliest? If he’s suspended 4 games or more?
- Cowboys All Pro LT Tyron Smith is dealing with a chronic back issue. After missing every day of practice last week, Smith returned to practice Monday and Tuesday, but his back stiffened up again and he is expected to get the rest of the week off. Although the team continues to downplay this current injury and say there is no relation to any previous health issues, it is important to know Smith spent much f last season managing a bulging disc in his back, which caused him to miss three games. In addition, former NFL offensive linemen Ross Tucker tweeted yesterday that although it is too early to panic about Smith, this relapse doesn’t sound good at all based on his personal experience. If Tyron Smith is still experiencing these problems by September 1, how will that impact the fantasy value of Dez Bryant and Dak Prescott?
- Right now, Dalvin Cook is being drafted in the fifth round. If he balls out in preseason, how much higher SHOULD that catapult his ADP?
- Another rookie RB making noise is Kareem Hunt. Chiefs head coach Andy Reid praised Hunt as a “quick study” and it was reported via ArrowheadPride.com that he is seeing more and more snaps with the first-team offense in training camp. While it is possible he may find healthy work early, Adam Schefter cautioned in a radio interview to not expect that much of an impact form Hunt until the second half of the season. How high on Kareem Hunt are you at the moment?
- Tyreek Hill is proving people who doubted his ability to handle full-time WR duties wrong so far. He consistently lit it up during training camp, that Matt Miller of Bleacher Report said there are expectations by some throughout the league that he will have a breakthrough similar to the one Steve Smith had in his second full season. Chiefs beat writer Terez Paylor (Kansas City Star) predicts Hill will catch 75+ passes and maybe 10+ touchdowns. Also, Blair Kerkhoff (Kansas City Star) reported that Hill will give up most of his return assignments. Will you be willing to bite the bullet on Hill in the third or fourth rounds of either PPR or standard formats?
- Derrick Henry has been shining big time in Titans camp as Demarco Murray recovers from a minor hamstring injury. Although Murray is close to returning and remains the favorite for lead-back duties, it might be difficult for the Titans to keep Henry on the sidelines as often as they did his rookie season. Is Demarco Murray still worth a second-round pick, or would you let someone else buy and take Derrick Henry later instead?
- Who are some players you would avoid at all costs in rounds 1-4?
- Who are your best bargain picks in rounds 8 or later?
And that’s all for today here on Sports Krunch with DKrom. But we’ll be back next week with more fantasy analysis and team previews…so stay tuned!! Also, be sure to check out the episode archive as well as an up-to-date blog of mine at sportskrunch.com!!! For Mike Dente, our producer Chris Brodhead, man in the box, I’m David Kromelow saying so long and stay awesome!!!