From January 22-27, Sports Krunch will be hitting the road and going to Mobile, Alabama to cover the 2018 Reese’s Senior Bowl. It is something I have been meaning to do for quite a while, and I cannot wait to bring you all non-stop coverage that week of one of the big events in the lead-up to the NFL Draft, as the entire NFL universe will be descending on Mobile, Alabama to get a glimpse at the next crop of potential stars. And to break down this exciting week, it is an honor to welcome back another friend of the program who will also be down in Mobile bringing terrific coverage, Mr. Pete Smith (NFLSpinZone.com).
1. Obviously, people’s eyes in Mobile will be primarily on the quarterbacks, especially 2017 Heisman winner Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. Has Mayfield already done enough to solidify himself as a top-five pick, if not the first overall pick? What does he need to do during the week to quiet the doubters?
2. There are a lot of mixed reports about Josh Allen. Some people still believe that, despite a disastrous year, he could still be the first overall pick. As Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported, some wouldn’t be shocked if the Browns took him first overall. On the flip side, friend of the show Benjamin Allbright has constantly told me to not buy into Allen as a top-10 selection. How much can a solid week of practice in Mobile boost him into the conversation of being a top-10 pick or higher despite his absolutely poor tape this season?
3. I am very intrigued by this year’s RB class and we get to see four noteworthy names there in Kalen Ballage (Arizona State), Royce Freeman (Oregon), Rashaad Penny (San Diego State), and Akrum Wadley (Iowa). Which one of those four has the most to gain from the Senior Bowl, and which one has the most to lose?
4. We have a pretty deep group of WR’s on hand down in Mobile (James Washington, Michael Gallup, Allen Lazard, etc.) but one name who’s starting to get some buzz is Jaleel Scott of New Mexico State, who stands at 6-6, 215. Do you buy the hype on this kid and how high can Scott’s draft stock climb with a good performance?
5. How high can Dallas Goedert and Mike Gesicki’s draft stocks climb?
6. Four OL to watch are Will Hernandez (G, UTEP), Alex Cappa (OT, Humboldt State), Desmond Harrison (OT, West Georgia), Brian O’Neill (OT, Pittsburgh). What are you looking for specifically from each of them?
7. One of the big names on the other side of the ball that many eyes will be on is Marcus Davenport (UT-San Antonio). What is your impression of his game tape and can he be a first-round pick if he shines?
8. Alabama ILB Rashaan Evans will be there. Does he have more to gain or more to lose?
9. Which of the three following DT’s are you looking forward to watching the most and why: Da’Shawn Hand (Alabama), Maurice Hurst (Michigan), or Derrick Nnadi (Florida State)?
10. The secondary group is rather underwhelming this year, but is there a name that could surprise and shoot up draft boards as a result?
That’s all for our Senior Bowl preview here on Sports Krunch with DKrom. For daily coverage from Mobile (blog and audio entries) be sure to check out SportsKrunch.com and follow me on Twitter @SportsKrunch!! And if you enjoy these podcast episodes please consider leaving us an iTunes review and donating to our Patreon at Patreon.com/SportsKrunch so we can improve our iTunes ranking and afford to produce even more shows with awesome guests.